Whether for sport, fishing, or simply for fun, boating on the beautiful Ross Barnett Reservoir and other public waterways is a popular pastime in Jackson, MS. Unfortunately, far too many fun days on the water are ruined by sudden boating accidents. These incidents can leave victims with expensive medical bills, lost wages, and property damage. But if you’ve been injured and someone else is to blame, they could owe you compensation for these and other losses.
The legal team at Derek L. Hall, PC understands the challenges you may be facing right now. We want to help you get the accountability and financial security you deserve. For over 25 years, attorney Derek Hall has advocated for injured individuals and their families throughout Mississippi. He is committed to providing excellent service to our clients and working tirelessly towards the best outcomes possible.
Contact our office today to get started with a free initial consultation with a boating accident lawyer in Jackson, MS, and find out what we can do for you.
Common Causes of Boat Accidents
Boat accidents can be prevented. According to the U.S. Coast Guard, the 10 most common factors that contribute to boating accidents in the United States are:
- Distracted boat operators
- Inexperienced boat operators
- Improper lookout
- Excessive speed
- Machinery failure
- Navigation rules violation
- Alcohol use
- Bad weather
- Dangerous waters
- Force of wave or wake
Common Injuries from Mississippi Boat Accidents
Injuries from a boating accident can be devastating and require extensive medical treatment. The most common injuries that result from boating accidents in Mississippi include:
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries, such as strains and sprains
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Amputated limbs
When Are You Required to File a Boat Accident Report?
According to the U.S. Coast Guard, the owner or operator of a recreational boat must file a boating accident report with the appropriate state authority after a crash when one of the following occurs:
- Someone dies
- Someone is injured and requires medical treatment beyond first aid
- Someone from the boat disappears in such a way that might suggest injury or death
- A boat or other property is damaged at a cost totaling $2,000
- A boat is destroyed
You must report a boat accident within 48 hours if someone dies, is injured and requires more than first aid, or disappears. In all other cases, reports must be made within 10 days of the accident.
How to Get Compensation if You Were Injured in a Mississippi Boat Accident
If you were injured in a Mississippi boat accident, you might be worried about how you will pay your medical and repair bills and make up for lost wages if you cannot work. While you should not have to shoulder these burdens on your own, pursuing compensation after a boating accident can be complicated. By hiring an experienced attorney to handle your case, you may increase your chances of securing maximum compensation after a watercraft accident.
A boat accident lawyer can:
- Conduct a thorough investigation to determine who is at fault for the collision
- Gather helpful evidence, including eyewitness testimony and crash reports, to prove liability and build a solid case
- Identify all potential sources of compensation, including relevant insurance policies
- Communicate with insurance companies and other parties on your behalf
- Handle essential paperwork and keep track of important deadlines
- Aggressively negotiate for a fair settlement that will take into account any anticipated future expenses
- Represent you in court if settlement negotiations fail
When to Contact a Boating Accident Lawyer
In Mississippi, you generally have three years from the date of an injury to file a lawsuit against the at-fault parties. If you miss the three-year deadline, your case will likely be dismissed, and you will miss your chance to seek compensation in civil court.
However, it takes time for a lawyer to review your case and pursue the full financial recovery you deserve. It’s best to contact a Jackson boat accident lawyer as soon as possible so they can get to work on your case right away.
Talk to Our Experienced Boat Accident Lawyer in Jackson, MS
Contact Derek L. Hall, PC to discuss your legal options if you were injured in a boat accident in Jackson, MS. We look forward to meeting you during a free consultation with a Jackson boat accident attorney and learning more about your case and how we can help.