Tips for Increasing a Personal Injury Claim Settlement
Recovering from injuries isn’t something everyone can easily afford on their own. The medical bills stack up, making it more difficult if you can’t work while you recover. Your focus should be on your recovery, though, not how you’ll afford your medical care and take the time to heal.
If you were injured due to someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to seek compensation from the responsible party. However, that’s easier said than done, especially to pursue the full compensation you need. An experienced lawyer can show you how to maximize your personal injury settlement, hopefully avoiding the stress and cost of a lawsuit.
The personal injury attorneys at Derek L. Hall, PC have 25 years of legal experience and a proven track record for helping accident victims. Here are our tips for increasing a personal injury claim settlement amount.
Factors to Maximize Your Personal Injury Settlement
When pursuing compensation, it’s important that you recover enough to cover your losses. Insurance companies are looking out for themselves, though. They want to settle with you for the least amount possible and will use any tricks they can. You’ll need to demonstrate the extent of your injuries and how your life has been affected to get maximum compensation.
After you’re injured in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you should follow these tips for increasing a personal injury claim settlement agreement:
- Gather evidence on the scene — While on the scene, try to get photos and videos of the area, your injuries, and anything that could have caused the accident. Get the contact information for any witnesses in case you need their testimony for your case.
- See a doctor — Even if you don’t think your injuries are serious, you should still get medical attention as soon as possible. Your symptoms may worsen, or you may have other injuries that aren’t obvious yet. Continue all medical treatment until you’re fully recovered.
- Collect and keep all evidence to support your claim — Your medical records, receipts, pay stubs, and other evidence will be essential to your case. While you’re recovering, you should also document your pain, emotional stress, and treatment effects in a journal. These can all help you calculate your losses and show why you need the compensation.
- Don’t talk to the insurance companies — It may seem illogical not to speak to the insurance company when they’re the ones you want to settle with. However, talking to them without an attorney puts you at risk of saying something they can hold against you, even if it seems innocent.
- Contact a personal injury lawyer — Pursuing a personal injury claim isn’t easy. There’s evidence to gather, insurance companies to communicate with, and losses to calculate. An experienced attorney can help you negotiate for maximum compensation and fight the insurance company’s tactics.
Contact a Personal Injury Claim Settlement Attorney Today
If you’ve suffered an injury because of someone else’s negligence, you shouldn’t have to suffer the financial consequences, too. Our compassionate personal injury lawyers can review your case and show you how to increase your settlement value so you get the financial recovery you deserve. Call or contact us online today for a free consultation.