Anyone thinking about filing for divorce has probably spent some time on the Internet looking at alternatives to hiring a local attorney. They may be hoping to save a few bucks by avoiding attorney’s fees, but are actually being a bit shortsighted. The fact of the matter is, a good divorce attorney can save you both money and time.
Benefits of Legal Counsel
There are scores of advantages to having your own divorce attorney, as opposed to representing yourself, but we’ll highlight some of the most important here:
- Protection: Your attorney has your best interests in mind. That means the aim is to protect you: your assets, your custody rights, your future. Without your own attorney, you can never know for sure if you are getting a fair settlement.
- Time: Divorce takes time, pure and simple. But your attorney has negotiating skills, knowledge, and contacts that can expedite matters to your advantage.
- Emotions: Even the most stoic among us experiences some confusing emotions associated with a divorce. Most people experience a concoction of rage, confusion, desperation, and sadness. Many seesaw between feelings of extreme vengeance and total antipathy. But your lawyer, although sympathetic to your emotional rollercoaster, is clear-headed with an eye toward getting you the best deal possible. If you need to be dissuaded from pursuing a battle over some menial detail, or if you need to be psyched up to fight for your rights, your attorney is there for you. With an understanding of the law as a lever, your heavy hitting attorney keeps an eye on the prize.
- Options: There are generally a plethora of issues that need to be resolved in the course of a divorce. While Mississippi laws guide one on the basics, the details of every divorce can be negotiated. Rather than battling it out with your ex on your own, your experienced attorney goes to the table with your interests in mind, and all the legal tools in the tool bag to devise the deal you need. There is more than one way to achieve your goals, and your attorney knows those routes.
- Paperwork: Why hassle with the many forms and deadlines that are required when your able attorney can take care of it on your behalf? Remember, if you’re representing yourself in court, the expectations for your performance are no more lenient than they are for any attorney. Honest mistakes might be regarded as simple carelessness or as efforts at deception. Neither benefits you.
Get Things Moving
If it’s time to start thinking about divorce and get the ball rolling, having the Jackson divorce attorneys at Derek L. Hall, PC on your team is the first move you should make. With experience and dexterity, we will fight aggressively to achieve your desired outcomes. Contact our office today to schedule a free, confidential consultation.