Deadly Mississippi Collisions
“Pray for this county.” Those were the words of Sheriff James Moore, of Kemper County, in response to two car wrecks over a two-week time period, resulting in 11 fatalities. The sheer shock and pain of fatal collisions can be overwhelming. If you’ve lost a loved one in such an incident, Derek L. Hall, Mississippi attorney, can help you explore your options going forward.
Kemper County Accidents
The first of Kemper County’s accidents was a head-on collision that occurred after a truck veered into a van carrying a group of men on the way to work. The men in the van were all related to one another, and eight of them lost their lives in that single wreck.
A second wreck involved a vehicle that was traveling southbound on U.S. Highway 89. It crossed over the median, colliding with three northbound vehicles. Three fatalities and a number of injuries resulted from that collision, which occurred just a short distance away from the first wreck, that occurred only two days earlier.
Investigating Fatal Crashes
After any serious collision, a swift and thorough investigation should take place. These crashes are almost always the result of negligence on the part of at least one of the involved drivers. An investigation should have many components, including:
- An examination and documentation of physical evidence, ranging from skid marks and vehicle damage to blood and urine samples. Photographs will memorialize factors that may have contributed to the crash, and a scale diagram will indicate where each vehicle landed in relation to other vehicles and landmarks.
- Witness interviews, including bystanders, drivers, and vehicle occupants, if possible.
After all of the evidence is compiled, a team of investigators will study it and make determinations as to the central cause(s) of the incident. Ultimately, charges may be filed.
Impact on Victim’s Families
Getting the news that a loved one has been killed in a car wreck is devastating news under any circumstances. Tragically, fatalities related to traffic accidents are listed as the eighth leading cause of death across the globe. The toll on families can be overwhelming. Just some of the consequences to family members might include:
- Emotional trauma leading to dysfunction in the family;
- Mental health issues;
- Impacts on child care;
- Children’s declining performance in school;
- Fears related to being in a vehicle;
- Disruptions in sleep patterns;
- Loss of income;
- Bills associated with medical and/or funeral costs;
- Potential interruption of surviving family member’s occupation;
- Possible need for residential relocation.
While it may seem impossible to move beyond this kind of tragedy, families must continue to make sense of their lives in the aftermath of senseless death. At the office of Derek L. Hall, PC, our skilled Jackson wrongful death lawyers have your best interests in mind. Contact our office to schedule a free, confidential consultation today. If we accept your case, it won’t cost you a thing, unless we win for you.